Friday, October 10, 2014

Bone Broth

0


Making bone broth!
I’ve written before about the ethical dilemma of yogis eating animal products as well as how switching from veganism to being a conscious omnivore saved my body and my yoga practice. Whether or not you agree with my Weston A. Price/Paleo/Gluten-Free ways or not, I hope we can all agree that diet is a personal choice and we all just want to be the healthiest we can be.
In November 2011 I attended the Wise Traditions International Conference, hosted by the Weston A. Price Foundation, in Dallas, Texas. It changed my life.
When I was 13 and my mom began an elimination diet to detox and heal her body. In the process, she discovered the Weston A. Price Foundation, an organization that promotes a healthy, whole foods diet filled with sprouted grains, lacto-fermented foods, raw dairy, and pasture raised animal products. The family soon began drinking raw milk, cutting out processed grains, and we all became healthier and happier in the process.
For about 12 years I nodded and rolled my eyes as my mother shared her new found factoids on food, but when she offered to take me to the Weston A. Price conference for my birthday, something switched. I knew everything I knew because of my mom, it made me healthier, and here was my chance to learn from the source.
While I could write an entire book on all of the amazing things I learned, one of the biggest, life-changing habits I picked up while I was there is my love of bone broth.
(Granted, the name “bone broth” doesn’t have the tastiest sound to it, especially this day in age when many cultures have turned away from eating nutrient dense organ meats and bone marrow, but I assure you, it’s tasty and great for you!)
At the conference there would be three beverage dispensers every morning, one with chicory “coffee,” one with chicken stock, and one with beef stock. The idea of having a cup of stock as part of breakfast was initially a strange idea, but I felt full, warm, and satisfied after every morning meal! When I returned home, I kept up the ritual and that was when my joint pain really subsided.
Bone broth is magical! It has the power to remineralize your bones, help repair tissue in the joints, and can also help heal your gut.
With all of that being said, I have some very exciting news for you!
Sally Fallon Morell, President of Weston A. Price Foundation, and Dr. Kaayla Daniel, PhD clinical nutritionist, have just announced the release of their new book, Nourishing Broth-An Old Fashioned Remedy for the Modern World!




Sally and Dr. Kaayla will both be speaking at this year’s Wise Traditions International Conference this November 7-10 in Indianapolis.
If you are interested in healing your life with food, I strongly recommend you go! It is a life changing experience, a great place to connect with other conscious individuals in your communities, and the food is amazing!
Don’t wait! Start healing your life with this amazing, diverse, superfood!
Here is the recipe for my Beef Bone Broth:
2 tablespoons clarified butter
3-4 lbs. Beef bones, preferably joints or marrow bones, or both from pasture raised, grass fed cows
2 tablespoons of raw apple cider vinegar or lemon juice (super important!! the acid helps draw out minerals from the bones!)
1 Leek
4 Carrots (don’t peel them! there’s lots of minerals in the skin!)
3 celery stalks
1 onion quartered
4 big cloves of garlic
Put clarified butter, ghee, or raw butter if you tolerate dairy, in the bottom of your stock pot and brown bones. Once they are browned (they don’t need to be cooked all the way through) put your veggies in the pot and cover with filtered water. Bring to a boil and then reduce to simmer. As the foam rises to the top, skim it off and discard. Keep pot at a low simmer for 24-72 hours. When your broth is done cooking, strain out the veggies and bones and discard. Put your stock in the fridge. The tallow (fat) will rise to the top and solidify. You can skim that off and use it for cooking! (Remember, fat is good for you!) Now your bone broth is ready to be made into soup, sipped in a mug, or you can freeze it for later use! Bone broth should be used within about a week of its creation if it isn’t frozen. I also like to put it into ice cube trays so I can toss one or two into sauces ;)
Add salt and pepper to taste when you cook with your stock!
Go forth and heal, my friends!
Namaste!

No comments: