Top 10 Secrets to Fabulous Looking Skin!
You are here:
Top 10 Secrets to Fabulous Looking Skin
- Keep your gut bugs happy! Take a high-quality probiotic supplement can promote a healthy balance of gut flora and support your immune system.
- Optimize your vitamin D levels – Vitamin D is crucial for establishing a healthy immune system and to help promote healthy-looking skin.
- Eliminate sugar in your diet – Like grains, sugar causes an insulin spike which can lead to skin break-outs and imperfections.
- Avoid eating grains, especially wheat – Bread, cereal, pasta, rice, potatoes, and corn can cause surges in insulin production. Instead, eat vegetable sources of carbs, which your body digests easier. Consider a gluten-free diet if you suffer from gluten intolerance, which may help you avoid toxins being pushed through your skin due to the intolerance.
- Drink plenty of fresh pure water – Hydrating your body facilitates cell growth and regeneration, elimination of wastes, and helps remove dead skin cells.
- Might you have hidden food allergies? wheat, milk, egg, and soy are common foods that people are unknowingly sensitive to. If you don’t know, try eliminating all of these foods and sugar for 14 days to see if your skin clears. If you aren’t up to an elimination diet, ask for the IgG/IgE blood test.
- Eliminate all sodas, juice, and energy drinks – These drinks mostly sugar, artificial flavoring, high fructose corn syrup, artificial sweeteners and artificial colors. As far as juices, eat the whole fruit in moderation instead.
- Reduce your stress & Get your sleep – Research suggests that changes in skin often correlate with increased stress. And your body’s time for rejuvenating (including your skin!) is at night while you sleep.
- Exercise regularly – Getting plenty of high-intensity exercise helps your body flush out toxins, including those in the pores of your skin. The more you sweat, the better your body can get rid of toxins and impurities
- Naturally cleanse and moisturize your skin – Avoid toxic skin care products with risky chemical ingredients. They can cause more skin problems than they solve. For non-toxic products, visit the Environmental Working Group’s Skin Deep database.
Author: Jill Carnahan, MD
Dr. Jill is Your Functional Medicine Expert! She uses functional medicine to help you find answers to the cause of your illness and addresses the biochemical imbalances that may be making you feel ill. She'll help you search for underlying triggers contributing to your illness through cutting edge lab testing and tailor the intervention to your specific needs as an individual. She may use diet, supplements, lifestyle changes or medication to treat your illness but will seek the most gentle way to help your body restore balance along with the least invasive treatment possible. Dr. Jill is a functional medicine expert consultant and treats environmental and mold-related illness as well