Monday, September 21, 2015

Moringa

My Mom Cooked Moringa Before It Was A Superfood
SEPTEMBER 21, 2015 5:02 AM ET

2:22

The seeds of pods from the moringa tree taste like green beans, only sweeter. And they're good for you, too.
PHONLAWAT/iStockphoto
Americans are starting to pay more attention to moringa these days. Some are touting this tropical tree as the newest and greatest superfood. And all the excitement is understandable: Moringa leaves and seed pods are packed with protein and vitamins. Its nutritional value rivals that of milk, yogurt and eggs.
But people in Asia and Africa have been eating it for years. In India, we call moringa the drumstick tree — for its long, drumstick-like seed pods. It's easy to come by in Mumbai, where I grew up. My mother would use the young, tender pods to make this amazing lentil stew called sambhar.

i
My mom, Vani Singh. She knew all about moringa before it was hip.
Vani Singh
My mom was excited to hear I was reporting on moringa. "It used to be our favorite, especially with hot rice and a big dollop of fresh, homemade butter," she says.
It's true: I loved this stuff, even as a kid who generally rejected wholesome foods. The pods' outer skins are too tough and fibrous to eat. So you've got to fish them out of the stew, suck out the juicy seeds and flesh and chuck the skin. They taste like green beans — but sweeter. "Although you fussed over a lot of vegetables," my mom says, "you never fussed over drumstick sambhar, which was very surprising."
Recently, researchers around the world have taken a renewed interest in this hardy plant and its many nutritional benefits. And they're learning that all that moringa I gorged on as a child might have been healthier than I ever realized.
"Moringa is truly one of those plants in which all parts of the plant can be used," says Jed Fahey, a biochemist at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health who has been studying this tree for two decades. It makes for great firewood, and both its leaves and pods are edible. Mature seeds can be used to make vegetable oil. It grows wicked fast, it's drought resistant — and a couple of dried seeds, crushed up, can purify a bottle of contaminated water.
Plus, it thrives in the dryland tropics of India, Africa and South America. "It grows in areas that overlap almost perfectly with the areas of the world which are undernourished," Fahey notes.
That's why, Fahey says, its real value lies in its ability to feed poor communities in Asia and Africa — which is where it grows best. The leaves, which taste a bit peppery, like arugula, are a good source of easily digestible protein as well as vitamins A and C, calcium and iron. The seed pods are also rich in protein and high in omega-3 fatty acids.
As Americans learn more about moringa, they're developing an appetite for it as well. Lately, moringa supplements and energy bars are becoming fashionable in the U.S.

Some of these moringa suppliers source responsibly, Fahey says, but others do not. About 15 years ago, supplement-makers encouraged subsistence farmers in Senegal and Bangladesh to start growing moringa instead of other crops, he says. When these companies couldn't turn a profit selling their moringa products, the farmers — who had stopped growing food they could use to feed their families — paid the price. "They were really left in dire straits," Fahey says.
If you can find responsibly sourced moringa and afford to try it, Fahey is all for taking a taste. But here in the U.S., we can get the same nutritional benefits from more commonplace vegetables like broccoli, which grows locally and costs less to import. "I just think that we should remember that [moringa] is a novelty at the moment," Fahey says.
He and other scientists are still looking into its medicinal value, and Fahey will be among those presenting at an international moringa conference in November. There's good evidence that moringa has some anti-diabetic and cancer prevention properties, but the research is still in its preliminary stages.

Meanwhile, my mom tells me that in southern India, some folks have other ideas: "They thought it was an aphrodisiac." It's true. In some Tamil movies, women who are having marital troubles will try serving up moringa for dinner. At least at this point, there's no science to back that strategy.

1 comment:

Alarico Adalbert said...

It is no secret that I have a very deep and personal relationship with God.
I have pushed and resisted that relationship this past year through all the
bullshit I have had to go through living with Herpes but once again, God is
bigger than my stubbornness and broke through that outbreak cold sore and
all I had Genital Herpes. For me personally, hearing over and over how I am
not good enough has really invaded my mind in the worst way possible. I
completely shut down and I was just waking up like is this how life going
to end this temporary herpes outbreak “fuck everybody with herpes if you
know what I mean” but let's be honest here...
It is a cowardly to say no to herbal medicine. It is fear based. And it is
dishonest to what my heart wants. Don't build a wall around yourself
because you are afraid of herbals made or taking a bold step especially
when it's come to health issues and getting cure. So many young men/ women
tell me over and over that Dr Itua is going to scam me but I give him a try
to today I feel like no one will ever convince me about herbal medicine I
accept Dr Itua herbal medicine because it's cure my herpes just two weeks
of drinking it and i have been living for a year and months now I
experience outbreak no more, You can contact him if you need his herbal
medicine for any such diseases like, Herpes,
Schizophrenia,Cancer,Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva.Fatal Familial Insomnia
Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's
disease,Desmoplastic,Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob,,Lyme
Disease,Epilepsy, ,ALS,Hepatitis,Copd,Parkinson disease.Genetic
disease,Fibrodysplasia disease,Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Men/Woman
infertility, bowel disease ,Huntington's disease ,Diabetes,Fibroid.
disease,Lupus,Lipoid Storage diseases( Gauchers disease),Polycystic
Disease.,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Cirrhosis of
Liver,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Alzheimer's
disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic,HIV, Epilepsy,
Infertility, Love Spell,. Email..drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com then what's
app.+2348149277967.... My advice to any sick men/women out there is
simple... Be Always an open book. Be gut wrenching honest about yourself,
your situation, and what you are all about. Don't hold anything back.
Holding back will get you nowhere...maybe a one way ticket to lonelyville
and that is NOT somewhere you want to be. So my final truth...and I'm just
starting to grasp this one.