Saturday, December 6, 2014

What’s in My Natural First Aid Kit?




I’m frequently asked about what holistic products I use on a daily basis, so this is a first in a series that will cover:
  • What’s in my natural first aid kit?
  • What’s in my natural makeup bag?
  • What’s in my natural medicine cabinet?
  • What’s my supplement routine?
Many of these products are items that I’ve settled on after trying numerous brands. All of them fit my strict ingredient standards for purity and sustainability.
I’ve attempted to pare down my Natural First Aid kit to the essential items that I use on a regular basis. Also, the items in my “kit” isn’t neatly consolidated, but these things are distributed around my room and bathroom. If you want to create a handy kit with everything organized neatly, more power to you!
My Natural First Aid Kit contains:
Activated Charcoal Capsules - Activated charcoal capsules (or activated charcoal powder) are a natural remedy frequently used for food poisoning, detox and tummy bugs. For cases of mild food poisoning, I recommend opening the capsules and emptying the contents to get about a tablespoon of charcoal powder. Mix into water and swallow. I also mix activated charcoal with dry bentonite clay, add water to create a paste, and apply this paste to bug bites and blemishes.
Aloe Vera – I have an aloe vera plant so I can apply fresh aloe gel to soothe burns, sunburns and irritated skin.
Arnica Gel – Arnica is an herb that is traditionally used for wound healing and bruises. When I have aches, sprains or bruises, I generously apply Arnica Gel on the affected area up to 6 times per day. I experience pain relief and vastly quicker bruise healing.  I keep a tube in my ballet bag and my first aid kit.

Bach Rescue Remedy – I use Bach Rescue Remedy, a homeopathic blend of five flower remedies, both internally and topically. Designed to provide support for periods trauma and stress, I always carry a bottle in my purse so I can take a few drops when I feel anxious. For first aid, I will place a few drops directly on a cut, bruise or burn. I swear that my burns heal twice as quickly when I use Rescue Remedy on them immediately. Another of my uses for Rescue Remedy: I add it to the water for cut flowers. It makes my flowers stay fresh for much longer.
Bentonite Clay – I have both dry Redmond Clay and Hydrated Redmond Clay in my natural first aid kit. The Hydrated Clay is handy for immediate use and I reach for it when I get a bug bite. I put a big dollop on the bite, cover with plastic wrap, and let the clay help draw out the venom for at least an hour. I also use it as a spot/mask treatment for acne. One time, I cut my lip and couldn’t stop the bleeding. I slathered on hydrated clay, which stopped the bleeding. Then, I coated the cut with manuka honey (discussed below). It healed very quickly.
Calendula Salve – I love this Calendula Salve for a myriad of uses. This silky salve is made with only calendula (a healing, soothing herb), olive oil, non-GMO vitamin E and beeswax. I apply it to cuts, burns, dry skin, and scars. My knees and elbows tend to get extremely dry in the winter and I always keep a jar of this salve on my bedside table to soothe the dry skin. This is also excellent for hives, eczema and rashes. It’s a small bottle, but a little goes a long way.
Colloidal Silver – I do not take colloidal silver internally because it is a natural antibiotic (it can kill the good gut flora as well as the bad). But this is my go-to remedy for pink eye… it works in just a few hours for me! I apply a drop or two of colloidal silver directly into my eyes a few times per day when I have pink eye.
Enessa Rescue Oil – (Available here) Although this is more of an investment than some of the other remedies here, I think it is worth every penny. It’s a blend of proprietary antibacterial essential oils blended in jojoba oil. It makes an excellent spot treatment for blemishes and also works well for soothing and healing bug bites. You just need the tiniest dab… a bottle lasts me at least 8 months.
Epsom Salt – Epsom salt baths are my natural remedy for sore muscles. I also use epsom salt for removing splinters. I also love soaking in epsom salt baths to relieve sore muscles – just add 1-2 cups of epsom salt to a warm bath. Finally, it’s a natural laxative that works in a pinch.
Essential oils  – Essential oils are a hot topic in the blog world right now, and I take a pretty conservative approach when it comes to essential oils. As little as necessary, not as much as possible is my rule! I use Vibrant Blue Oil blends, which I discuss here, for endocrine and digestion support, but those blends aren’t for first aid use. For my first aid kit, I get by with VBO frankincense oil and VBO lavender oil. Both of these, when diluted with a carrier oil, are super healing for skin problems and bug bites/stings.
First Aid Salve – Make with antiseptic herbs, olive oil, beeswax and non-GMO vitamin E, I use the MJ Botanicals First Aid Salve in place of Neosporin for cuts and scrapes. In a pinch, I apply it to bug bites and blemishes. Like the Calendula Salve, I’ve used this on hives and rashes with good results.
Manuka Honey – Raw Manuka Honey (I use this one) is a special honey made from bees pollinating the manuka tree in New Zealand. It has exponentially higher levels of antibacterial properties than regular honey. I’ll often use this instead of Neosporin on a cut/scrape before applying a Band-Aid. Also, raw honey is proven to speed healing and reduce infection for wounds and burns. I’ve used Manuka honey on a 2nd degree burn and it healed much faster than it would have without it. I also love it as an indulgent mask for my acne-prone skin.
Tallow Balm – Although I don’t have eczema personally, this tallow balm is one of the few topical remedies I recommend for eczema. It’s lightly scented with essential oils and is the best smelling tallow balm I’ve found. You can also use the unscented version. Eczema needs to be addressed internally for lasting results, but tallow balm can be a very soothing “band-aid” remedy while food and digestion are being addressed. I always have tallow balm on hand to use as a heavy-duty skin moisturizer. Also, I credit tallow balm for preventing scarring when I experienced a terrible rash on my jar. I applied it multiple times a day and it drastically improved the healing time.

What’s in your natural first aid kit? Do you use any of the same remedies? 

No comments: